Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Last Day


Just a couple of pictures to share what our place looked like on The Last Day.  The flag banner is a project from Maya Donenfeld's Reinvention.  My daughter and I worked together to make the banner - her with the paint and me with the sewing machine.  It uses up some scrap Tyvek house wrap that would otherwise be destined for the landfill.  It's such an easy, quick project to whip up.  I could even finish the sewing before my toddler could get into too much stuff I would dearly like her to stay out of.

The children brought home lots of stuff on The Last Day.  So, there will be a lot of sifting through said stuff for the next couple of days as we figure out what will stay, what will be recycled, and what will be shared with the family and others.  I hope we are able to keep the peace as the collectors and the minimalists work together to find a happy balance.

Other notables for The Last Day include my daughter and I taking in a dance performance by our local youth contemporary dance company, Prairie Dance Seeds.  Meanwhile, my husband and son collected some materials from my dad for our first "homeschooling" project.  You'll see pictures soon.

My thoughts today drift to rest...both literally and figuratively.  Literally, because there have been a couple sleepless nights this week and some sleepyheads in the morning.  That, combined with late nights as my husband and I try to carve out time for our own projects, makes for a pretty sleepy Mama and Papa.  We aren't at our brightest, we aren't as resilient, we aren't as patient, and we have more trouble finding the humour in situations.  July will be the month we start to go to bed at a reasonable hour.  July will be the month we start to take time during the day for our adult projects.  July will be the month we question what work needs to be done and we'll all work together to get the necessities done.  Yes, we will be more rested in July.

We need rest figuratively too, because I think it will be good for all of us if there is a pause between this ending and the beginning of our homeschooling adventure.  I think this year has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster for one of my little ones, and a pause to know this house is a safe haven will do a world of good.  And while I really want to get going establishing new routines, it could be just the thing that will turn our children off of homeschooling and me.  Besides, it is summer vacation.  So, we'll take it slow.  We'll do summer projects that we've picked as a family and that we are all enthusiastic about.  Activities that the children would not likely experience at school.  I will be mindful that we are in a marathon and not a 100m dash.  Slow and steady will be our mantra for July.


No comments:

Post a Comment